Shortly after Chris Anosike Anyiam and his Executives were sworn in at New York 2007 convention, he, the President went to work at once and asked his Vice President Adaigbo Chinyere Udokoro to direct and coordinate a youth program for ATU USA. Without wasting time we went to work starting from Atlanta where the vice president resides. She rallied all the women of Atlanta, Mrs Georgie Agubata, Dr ( Mrs) Bridgit Ihenacho, Mrs Ngozi Ohaya, Mrs Akuba Onwumere, and all the children of Amaigbo Town Union Atlanta chapter. With Mrs Queennette Ohaya, the children were organized and prepared for the first outing and inaugural ceremony that was to take place in Atlanta 08.
AT the Atlanta 08 convention, we show cased our children who performed different activities to add color and varities to the convention. As it were, the ATU USA YouthProgram was officially inaugurated in Atlanta 08.
To get started, our then Legal Advisor Dr. Chinedum Nwosu set the ball rolling by taking care of the cost of T-shirts worn by all the youths to their site seeing Tour in Atlanta. Mazi Kingsley Nmezi donated the sum of $500.00 for the financing of the youth activities that we may want to embark upon. The family of Kennis Udokoro donated a trophy in honor of Benedict (Thunder) Nwala Anumudu which was to be redeemed with the sum of $500.00 every year the youths have any form of contest. Immediately voluntary donations were solicited and the sum of $405.00 was realized on the floor of the convention.
As enthusiastic as we were at the inauguration of the program, parents immediately volunteered to participate in the coordination of the youth program. They are:
Adaigbo Bernie Nwanguma
Lolo Chinyere Azuakolam
Mazi Kingsley Nmezi
Mazi Casmir Ezimako
Mrs Queennette Ohaya
Mrs Georgeline Nwaneri
Mrs Adaugo Ezirim Ekwunife
Dr (Mrs) Chinyere Onuogu (Matron)
Adaigbo Chinyere Udokoro (Director).
As we approached Houston 09 convention, the coordinators solicited for funds for theprogram. Umu Amaigbo opened their wallets and purses and money poured in like rain. We raised a total sum of $9450.00 as pledges and donations. In Houston 2009, the awareness of the program was already created and the children of Houston Chapter and other youths from other chapters and states demonstrated that they have been waiting for the opportunity to prove what they can do. Special thanks to Princess (Mrs) Priscilla Anyiam, Mrs Igbokwe and Prof. Ndu Dikeocha for the special way they prepared the youths of Houston chapter.
In Houston,we organized a symposia in two different categories. We grouped the youths to debate on two topics:
1. Should Corporal Punishment Be Allowed in Schools. This topic was for the younger youths in Middle and High schools. We had 18 youths that participated in this category. 6 spoke in favor of the topic while 12 spoke against.
2. Dating and Marrying outside Your Culture what do you prefer. This topic was debated upon by the youths in Colleges. In this category, 7 youths participated and all spoke what was in their mind regarding the topic. We had three judges for each of the categories and at the end of the exercise winners emerged and prizes were given to them. The winners in each of the categories was given $100.00 gift certificate while a $30.00 gift certificate as consolation prizes were handed to all contestants.
3. We acknowledged and honored our youths that graduated in high schools and colleges. In all, 18 youths graduated from colleges while 5 youths graduated from high schools. These were the names submitted by the parents but we know there were more than that for that year.
Due to lack of time, other activities scheduled were not completed and we hope in due course we shall allocate enough time for them.
Soon after we left Houston 09, the coordinators went back to work and organized an elections to elect the first officers to take up the mantle of leadership for the youthprogram. They disseminated information on our general egroup for parents to encourage their youths to declare interest to run for positions.
The following youths declared their interest and they were so elected.
1. Jessica Nwosu (President) daughter of Sir Fabian and Pat Nwosu.
2. Stephanie Nwaneri (Vice President) daughter of Mr and Mrs Nwaneri.
3. Chinelo Udokoro (Secretary) daughter of Kennis and Chinyere Udokoro.
4. Chinonso Azuakolam (PRO) daughter of Nze Goddy and Lolo Chinyere Azuakolam.
5. Chisom Nwanguma (Coordinator in Nigeria) daughter of Chief Perry and Bernie Nwanguma.
From when these officers were elected, have had series of meetings with them, we are still coordinating their activities and monitoring whatever plans they have to keep the programactive. They have been creating awareness on their web site and urging all Amaigbo youths to log in and interact with one another.
Adaigbo Chinyere Udokoro
Director Youth Program.